Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Week #5: "Book Project Blog" Analysis

I looked at this blog for the assignment and was very intrigued. The blog outlined and housed a project centered around the book The Guerrilla Season by Pat Hughes that over 300 students participated in. They had weekly discussions with a structured reading schedule. The coolest part that I found was interaction with the author! He was on the blog too and commented and wrote entries! They had a specific part of the blog where they could ask him questions. Additionally, each student had to do one of the five options for a final project and post it on the blog.
This site was a cool resource for sharing insight on one book that all the participants were reading. It was an excellent tool to inspire discussion and bring student's together. I would love to incorporate something like this in my classroom. However, if I did I would want the blog to be a bit more organized. In this example all the entries were in a big list causing any reader to scroll down without any organization in the content. I would make different tabs or links to direct readers and writers to different aspects of the project.
Overall using a blog to bring student's together in reading by using technology is a great idea. It takes the assignment of  "book discussion groups" to another level that, in my opinion, would be more enjoyable for students young and old.

1 comment:

  1. A blog like this would be helpful for my class as an English teacher. And good points about making it more organized, that is always helpful, making something more user friendly.

    ReplyDelete