Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Week #6: Generation IM Article Reflection

I really enjoyed the article "Generation IM". It was very similar to the article I read for my technology literacy paper but I still learned a good deal. Right off the bat I think a very important statement in the article was, “If we teach them the way we were taught, we’re not serving them well.” Peggy Sheehy illustrates the importance of understanding the way the students of the current generation learn because it is often different from the way the teachers learned.

Another thing that caught my attention was how the article contrasted television and the Internet in terms of roles the students take. I used to hear the TV and computer being grouped together and people (usually parents) saying their children waste too much time on the TV and computer. The view, as the article suggests, may be changing to accept Internet use more now due to it's interactivity? Either way it is important to realize our students love being interactive! And we should make the content in our classroom interactive.

The suggestions of using technology in lessons was great! Some of the recommendations I hadn't heard of before. One that I like particularly was how sixth graders made fictitious profiles of characters from different books on a social networking site. They could then write as if they were them. What a great way to step into another person's shoes and think outside yourself for a little bit. Another suggestion I liked was exploring Google maps in a lesson or for research--because, as the author said, who doesn't like using Google maps?? I sure love it! It is an excellent way of visualizing geography and history.

This article is one that will be bookmarked on my computer so I can access it when I have my classroom. It is very helpful and resourceful.

1 comment:

  1. Ashley, I'm so glad to hear that you liked the article! I also thought it was very informative. It is clear to me that you are very excited about all of the different avenues you can take using technology in education.

    ReplyDelete