Monday, October 25, 2010

Week 9: "Caught on Video"

There was a lot addressed in this article. Most of it was very helpful and interesting but I disagree with a few points he made.
The bulk of the article was very visionary and idealistic--which is a good thing. There are many advantages to providing video cameras to students and teachers. His argument for the documentation and evidence-gathering of learning was compelling because video recording really is the best way to see that process. I am sure parents would love it if parts of the classroom was recorded and they could see the exciting things their children are doing.
I think it's important not to get carried away with this idea. I can see how it could become very easy to focus on just getting something onto tape rather than using it efficiently, while not taking away from important learning experiences.
As for the elimination of grading aspect: I think for progress report kind of grades videos would be a good replacement, similarly with parent-teacher conferences. But, for standardized tests and final grades, videos, in my mind, seem to be cumbersome and detrimental.
Students could be embarrassed or unable to concentrate when being filmed failing to represent an accurate picture of their learning. Also, those needing to evaluate the countless videos coming in may find it taking much longer than looking at numbers and percentages from tests.
Just my thoughts on this article. I learned a lot about integrating video into the classroom and the importance of collecting this kind of evidence. It is a brilliant idea with a few flaws in my mind.

No comments:

Post a Comment